EDINBURGH-OLDTOWN.COM

Street Maps places of interest places to shop on The Royal Mile health & beauty Bars & Restaurants on the Royal Mile Pubs & Clubs Royal /mile Tours & Travel Accommodation Businesses & Services

EDINBURGH-SITES.COM






 

s

Places of Interest

 
 




GEORGE HERIOT'S SCHOOL

Construction of this building began in 1628, in accordance with a bequest by Goldsmith to the Crown, George Heriot, of 25,000 pounds for the purpose of schooling "puir faitherless bairns".

It was sited outside the City walls next to Greyfriars Kirk and overlooked by the Castle to the North.

The finished building was first used by Oliver Cromwell and his English army as a barracks, having been captured as part of the English Invasion
of Scotland during the Third English Civil War.

In 1859 it began to function as the intended
charitable school initially with just 39 orphaned children. In the 1880's it began to charge fees, though still provided free education to "foundationers" (fatherless children) as it does to this day.

In 1837 a further ten schools were established around the city to provide free education (all closed by 1885), in addition to significant funding to
an institution which would later become Heriot Watt College (now Heriot Watt University.)

 
  Places Of Interest Edinburgh Old Town  
 


EDINBURGH-SITES.COM




 

Street Maps places of interest places to shop on The Royal Mile health & beauty Bars & Restaurants on the Royal Mile Pubs & Clubs Royal /mile Tours & Travel Accommodation Businesses & Services
 


 

HISTORY PHOTOGALLERY MAPS LINKS SHOP ADVERTISE